Sunday, December 9, 2012

Europe Holiday: Transit Day!

The holiday begins! Celebrating the end of 5 years of Optometry studies (6 for me, given that I had to repeat at year), 6 years of high school, etcetc... I couldn't wait to begin this 4 week self-exploration of Europe!

Travelling in a group of 3, my friends and I met up at Sydney Airport shortly after 8pm, checking in our big bags into Cathay Pacific. Now I planned ahead: we could have flown direct to London with a 3 hour layover in Hong Kong. Instead, I played the time zones nicely and wangled a 16 hour transit period, arriving on the first Cathay flight into Hong Kong from Sydney, and departing on the 23:55 last flight to London.
So for our bags, we checked them in direct to London Heathrow and holding only our handcarry pieces with us in Hong Kong. We always could have checked them in to Hong Kong then re-checked them in...
(For the detail minded: CX138 from Sydney, for the CX251 HKG to London flight.)

The flight was fairly smooth, with the usual mild turbulence over Darwin as the pilot caught the northbound jetstream. This meant that we landed 45 minutes ahead of schedule at 0415.

From the Airport, I planned to take my friends to sightsee a little, but primarily to shop for extra winter things for the European trip. My cousin kindly agreed to meet us in Causeway Bay at 10.30... but the first bus to Causeway Bay didn't leave until 6.10am... we're two hours early!

We ended up staying at the airport until 7am - napping, using the free WiFi and (me) deciding our next move. Given that we still had plenty of time before meeting up, we went up to Victoria Peak. This highest point on Hong Kong Island has been a traditional landmark for over a hundred years, with a special cable car to cater for folk to travel up from Central MTR Station.

So for over an hour, we wandered through the silent mall full of closed shops, and enjoying the picturesque mountainous views of south and west Island. Northern aspect of the Island fronts Victoria Harbour, full of commuters, business, boats and people every which way (below). Stretching from Sheung Wan, Central and Admiralty in the west (left) to Chai Wan in the far east, Hong Kong Island is port I call home, having been born and raised here in my early childhood.

Eventually all things must come to an end: we came down on the tramway below to the hustle and bustle. Speaking of which: it was 9.15am, and we arrived to a platform of full queues awaiting the upwards journey. I must say - it was a good thing we went up when we did, else we get stuck behind the tourists.

****
For a round-trip up, it's HK$40 (A$5) via the Cable Car. Alternate methods include walking (1+ hr), bus (Citybus Route 15), or taxi. This is the most efficient journey, with a cable-car journey of approximately 15 minutes each way.
Boarding from the lower station is closest to Central MTR Station and follow the signs.
Nearby Landmarks: Cotton Tree Rd and Hong Kong Park.
****

Next, we took a slow tram along HK Island. For HK$2.30 (A$0.30), one could theoretically travel across HK Island from west to east or vice versa. However, don't expect to get a seat, and likewise be prepared for a crush of people shuffling in and out and up and down. One of the oldest tramways to still operate, taking the 'ding-ding' is an enjoyable method for those with plenty of time to spare whilst enjoying the sights of Hong Kong.

Eventually, we got to our destination: Times Square, Causeway Bay. We still had time to spare, so we dived underground to the Basement B2 level. Now I was expecting to find some food - unfortunately much has changed over the past 6 years: no more cheap eats there, only decent restaurants. So back up we came, across the street to McDonalds and tucking into a hot breakfast.

Shortly after, the time came and we met up with my cousin: Shopping Time! First stop Esprit (mid-range prices), then along Jardine Crescent to Forever 21 (mid-range), across to Lockhart Rd for (mid-range) footwear. I picked up a down jacket for Europe - everyone in my family insisted I get one... who am I to argue the point? Actually, I am stubborn enough to argue back, but just this once...

Did I mention I had family in Hong Kong? But yes, my cousins all knew I was stopping over for a day. And I owe one a huge favour: they let us store our hand-carry pieces at their place for the day - so we could go shopping without much fuss!

Back on track: more shopping. Next stop - Tai Koo, wanting to have a look at H&M. Although one might want to go shopping straight away, we had more pressing concerns: our stomachs. We got a snack (sago pearls in mago pudding) from Jusco and stopped at Yoshinoya for a Japanese lunch. We then spent the rest of the afternoon shopping around Kornhill Plaza and Cityplaza, picking up a few items here, there and everywhere (including H&M).

The evening was upon us: 6pm and craving for sugar, we stopped over at Honeymoon Dessert in the new Hysan Place. This is a new shopping centre that only developed in the last year by my recollection, so it's a place I'll explore on my own time later. For our stomach's sake: we scooted up in short order to 11th Floor, drooling a little over the selection of Asian desserts before ordering durian pancakes and a mixed grass-jelly thing. At HK$63 (A$8) for the two desserts, this is a LOT cheaper than what we get in Australia - and quite filling despite being shared amongst 3. =) Hong Kong - home of cheap eats!

So that was our day in Hong Kong: bit of sightseeing, bit of shopping, bit of eating... especially the eating! Back to my cousin's place to collect our bags, then hopped on a slow bus back to Hong Kong Airport. Eventually, the time came for us to board... and thus begins our European journey.

Stay tuned!
Sal =)

1 comment:

  1. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information.. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post.
    india Cheap Holidays

    ReplyDelete